By Steve Pyle
It is not uncommon for many of us to find ourselves in small groups of people, especially if we have children. Our kids want to interact with other kids. Our kids’ activities force us to be in proximity with others. We adults like to hang out with other adults anyways, but we tend to do so with adults that are in the same stage of life as we are. Young married couples prefer young married couples. Families with young children prefer the same. Singles hang with singles. Older couples are no different. We naturally find ourselves in small groups of people in many walks of life.
If the above is true, why is it so difficult to get people to attend a church small group? Churches give you the freedom to choose a group that you would naturally fit into. Churches give you the freedom to choose where your group meets. Churches pay for childcare. Churches have made small groups as easy and convenient for you as humanly possible, but you still do not attend a small group.
I have a few ideas why a high percentage of faithful churchgoers do not attend a church small group.
1. People today have mastered the art of being a ninja – We can be right in the middle of a group of people and not be noticed by any of them.
2. People today fake it – We put our happy face on every time we step foot in the church. It is much harder to do that in a smaller group of people
3. People today have forgotten the value of face-to-face conversations – We do not even talk on the phone anymore, text or email is much more convenient for both parties.
Now I would like to share why you should attend a Ridge LifeGroup
1. You will build relationships that are not easily broken – People in your small group will love you for who you are while encouraging you to grow.
2. You were not created to be alone – God created Eve because He noticed Adam would be lonely without a wife. Jesus created the church because He noticed we are stronger together.
3. You will go beyond the surface – You will be surprised how little you know about the people you see every week at church. You will be blessed knowing other people’s story.
4. You will experience God’s word in a new light – Have a question? Someone in your group has an answer or will find it. People’s love for God’s word is contagious.
5. You will have fun – LifeGroups have cookouts, go bowling, and have game nights to name a few. People in your group will genuinely enjoy your company.
Dear heavenly Father,
I pray more people of Ridge church stop just being in proximity with each other. Encourage Ridge church to experience You in a much deeper way. Show them that Your love exists in other people that want to share it with them. Father God let them know that they do not have to do life alone. Father tear down the walls that are blocking some people of Ridge church from true freedom. Thank you for sending Your Son. I cannot put in words what Your love means to me. Help me do in the darkness what I learned in the light. Let us not ignore those that are in need. Let us see others as You see them. Show us how to better be a disciple making church. Keep our hearts focused on You. Thank you for all the great things You are doing through so many people at Ridge church.
in Jesus name amen